Problem running out of filedescriptors

This time, I would like tell how we handled running out of filedescriptors on squid. as we know, squid is a proxy server. as a proxy server, squid will try to cache all web that access by client.

for the server which handle so much client, there will be problem with file descriptor. as far as i know, by default, today operating system could handled 1024 file descriptor, and squid follow by default that rule. you can see how much your operating system handled maximum file open by using ulimit command
ulimit -Hn
65536

right now, I use solaris 10. for x86 operating system. If I run ulimit command, it will show 65536. that's mean, my server can handled maximum 65536.

but yesterday, i got my squid log warning like this
WARNING! Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

well searching on google, I found that i have to recompiled my squid. preety weird you know, since I 'm not compile squid from the source. I use webstack squid. so, I tried to add single script on squid.conf. I just wrote
max_filedesc 40960

that's it. just type that, save your squid.conf, and then restart your squid. after that, I never get warning running out again. I'm not sure, how much squid handled maximum file descriptor. If I assume it will follow from the OS, it should be use 65536. but in fact, it is not. maybe it use under 1024.

well, that's enough for know. that's is one of my experience using squid.

Komentar

Postingan Populer